We use sustainable tools and technics to exploit the soil and reduce the effect of climate changes.
We offer internships to students of various universities, faculties and colleges. To contribute to a better training, we help them to master and apply their theoretical nkowlegde in the field conditions. We also help them implement their knowledge by giving them tools and means to make their researches.
START-UP WORKSHOP FOR THE PROJECT “SUPPORT TO THE FEDERATION OF COMMUNITY FORESTS OF KADEY IN THE PROCESS OF OBTAINING CERTIFICATES OF LEGALITY AND TIMBER TRADE”
On Tuesday, January 28, 2014, the conference room of the Tou'Ngou hotel in Yaounde hosted the start-up workshop for the accompanying project of the Federation of Community Forestry in Kadey in the process of obtaining certificates of legality and timber trade.
About 50 participants took part in this workshop and contribute more or less in the management of community forests in Cameroon.
The major points of the workshop were:
- The presentation of the Diocese of Batouri community forests state of art
- The presentation of community forests exploitation
- The presentation of the VPA / FLEGT and the progress of its implementation
- The presentation of the FLEGT / EU project of CARFAD / RFC / CODASC
- The identification of the project risks
For the determination of the project risks, participants expressed their concerns as follows:
1. Given the delays in administrative procedures, CARFAD will alongside with the European Union determine an evaluation line in appreciation of the level of the effort on the ground.
2. The organization of funding in this initial phase of the project will be limited to the strict minimum at the community forests federation. It is necessary to encourage them to generate revenue for durability.
3. According to Article 004, the legality certificate is required for selling wood towards the EU and not on the domestic market.
4. Obtaining legality certificates must be done without waiting for the issuance of environmental conformity certificates, given the cost of SEIA unsustainable for community forests.
5. Community forests, when operating timber face many administrative constraints (particularly in terms of taxation) to export toward EU, so it is important to establish a cooperative to give more facilities to sell products on the European market.
6. Given the greatness of funding, the number of staff mentioned would be too important for the project management. There are worries over problems of leadership and management. It is necessary to strengthen this aspect and also for the good running of activities to implement a Human Resource officer for the monitoring of the project.
In its entirety, the participants had a good understanding of the project, which they say is a commendable and generous initiative in terms of field activities, enrichment of the beneficiary population and community development. Also, they did not fail to emphasize the confidence made by the European Union to CARFAD by granting them with the necessary funding for this project. They encourage the project in its implementation, to rely more on capacity building and call for the forest administration to take the necessary arrangements to prevent harassment.
On Thursday, June 5, 2014 took place the International Environment Day. The day which falls in line with the protection of biodiversity enabled the project of Technical support in the eradication of rail transportation of wildlife products to take the opportunity to raise the awareness of passenger at the rail station in Yaounde, the general public whose rail users constitute a large part and which come and join accompanists and neighboring populations.Read more...